OF THE HAMMOND GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH
1871 “The Founding Years”
September 16, 1869 the Hammond Grove Baptist Church was founded on land
given by the late Major A Hammond for divine worship and named in his
honor. The leader of this church was the late Reverend Henry Morgan
and the late Reverend Alex Davis.
held services under a Brush Harbor near the sight of the present church.
The members were Tom Thomas, Henry Lambacker, Felix Simpkins, Major
Pendleton, Andrew Samuels, Augustus Lambacker, Rosa Shultz, Easter Pendleton,
Jency Brooks, Matilda Sawfage, Martha Simpkins, Bettie Samuels, Nancy
Green, Sarah Nabritt, Nancy Brooks, Lucy Thomas, and Savannah Thomas.
The first ordained
deacons: Daniel Lambacker and Ben Bohler; followed later by Benjamin
Lewis, Andrew Schultz, Hampton Wills, Jessie Schultz, Humphrey Key and
From 1869 to 1974,
two ministers served Hammond Grove: Reverend Alex Davis (1869-1871)
and Reverend Luke Mathis (1871-1874).
1910 “The Building Era”
Rev Luke Mathis erected the first church building.
The church continued
under the leadership of Reverend Coga Danforth for a period of thirty
years (1874 –1904). The church building was enlarged and additional
members were added.
In June 1904, Rev
A.D. Lambacker was called and served faithfully for six years (1904
1959 “Establishing the Ministry”
Reverend A. W. Vincent was called as pastor and served for 47 years.
He organized the first Trustee Board with Herbert Lamar, J. B. Bohler,
James E. Garrett, John E. Reese, Freddie Twiggs, Augustus L. Simpkins,
James R. Cook, Sr., Joe Bert, Samuel R. Cook, Sr., and Tom Wigfall.
The following deacons were ordained under his leadership – Benjamin
Lewis, Sam Jones, Bob Green, John Turner, Jeff Bright, Jack Nabritt,
Johnnie Mims, John Cook, William H. Butler, Joseph Cook, Jake Cook,
Sr., Augustus Simpkins, Jake Cook, Jr., James Garrett, James R. Cook,
Sr., and Freddie Twiggs.
ordained Reverends C. L. Simpkins, Luther Elam, Larsh Harris, William
H. Butler, C. L. Nickerson, and Jordan Bussey. An Usher Board, Senior
Choir, Junior Choir, and Mission Circle were also organized. Reverend
Vincent passed away January 1959.
1966 “Strengthening the Ministry”
The Reverend J. S. Gordon was elected pastor October 1959. During his
administration, many souls were added to the church. Gas heat and telephones
were installed; and the interior of the building was remodeled. Reverend
Gordon was instrumental in organizing the first Vacation Bible School.
The following brethren were appointed Trustee – W. E. Bullock,
Allen Curry, J. A. Nickerson, Sr., Caesar Jones, Sam Adams, Henry Green,
and Earl Samuels. The following brethrens were ordained to the Board
of Deacons – Herbert Lamar, Joseph Turner, Jr., John Gardner,
Arthur Abraham, Isaac Nix, and Gus Bright.
H. E. Smith, General
Manager of the Ways and Means for the Blind, deeded two (2) acres of
land to the church in 1962 through the late Chairman of Deacons, Herbert
Lamar. Later during the year, Mr. Smith donated the sum of one thousand
dollars ($1,000.00) to the church. A letter of thanks was sent from
the church expressing appreciation for the donation.
Rev Gordon resigned
1981 “Building the Flock and the Sanctuary”
January 1967, Reverend I. E. Smith was elected pastor. During his administration
two were ordained to the ministry – Eugene Abraham and Lewis Abraham.
The following brethren were appointed to the Trustee Board: Joseph Cook,
J. A. Nickerson, Jr., Robert Curry, Sam Forrest, Jr., and Marion W.
Harris. Twelve were ordained to the Board of Deacons: George W. Turner(March
1972), Robert Bert (February 9, 1975), Marion (Mal) Cook (February 9,
1975), Walter E. Bullock (February 9, 1975), Dock Abraham (February
9, 1975), Willie Abraham (February 9, 1975), Picken Madison (March 1972)
Johnnie Johnson (February 9, 1975), and Lawrence Johnson. Trustees ordained
to the Board of Deacons were Joseph Cook, J. A. Nickerson, Jr (March
1972), Sam Forrest, Jr. (March 1972), and Robert Curry (March 1972).
The sum of $19,000
was borrowed for the renovation of the church and repaid over a five-year
period. Remodeling included moving the baptismal pool inside of the
building, the addition of bathrooms and new pews. Donations from the
Graniteville Company ($500) and Lighting Gallery ($100) were received
to advance renovation plans.
The Youth and Gospel
Choir were organized and a Deaconess Board was established. Second
Sunday service was instituted which contributed to the winning of many
Reverend I. E.
Smith resigned in 1981.
1990 “Years of Change: Preparing the Future”
Elected as pastor on July 10, 1982, Reverend J. D. Shaw’s administration
re-organized the Youth Choir, erected a steeple on the church, and purchased
a new organ. One (1) was ordained to the ministry: James Abraham; three
(3) were appointed to the Trustee Board: Ricky Adams, Alex Merriweather,
and Otis Jones. Reverend Shaw resigned on August 29, 1986.
January 1987, Reverend
Limuer Myers was elected pastor. A church van and a new piano were purchase.
Prayer Service, a Bus Ministry, and Bible Study on Wednesday nights
were established. Reverend Myers was interested in the Youth of the
church and instilled in them the importance of education and church
The Youth Choir
was reorganized; five were appointed to the Trustee Board – David
Morton, Linzie Johnson, David Cook, Lamar Williams, and Lawrence Wigfall;
One (1) was licensed to the ministry, Dameon Johnson; One (1) ordained
to the Board of Deacon: Danfort Nabritt, Jr.
Reverend Myers resigned
2007 “Establishing the Vision”
On March 30, 1991, Reverend Bobby G. Hankerson was elected as pastor.
He accepted and began pastoring Sunday, May 12, 1991 and was installed
Sunday, June 23, 1991.
Hammond Grove Baptist
Church became a full-time, Tithing Church with Bible Study, Sunday School,
and Praise Service on the last Wednesday of the month under Reverend
Hankerson’s administration. The following organizations and positions
have been established and contribute to the success of the church –
Mass Choir, Sunday School Teacher Training (weekly), Vacation Bible
School Training, Youth Ministry, Mission Ministry, New Members Orientation,
Wedding Coordinator, Expanded Bus Ministry, Greeter Ministry (formerly
know as the Courtesy Guild), Partners for Progress, “We Care Ministry”,
Security Ministry, Mentoring Ministry (Linc’s), Prison Ministry,
Visual Ministry, Women Ministry. The following inactive ministries were
also established under Pastor Hankerson’s tenure: Christian Education,
Medical Ministry, Drama Ministry, Dance Ministry and Praise Ministry.
To further advance
the spiritual and administrative leadership of the church, the following
organizations and positions have been established – Assistant-to-Pastor,
Ministerial Staff Leaders, Visionary Leader and the Clergy Staff.
The Trustee Board,
Finance Committee, and administrative office have been restructured
to serve more effectively.
A Senior Citizen
Christmas Dinner, Youth Christmas Breakfast, and School Closing Award
Banquet were organized to promote fellowship. An affiliation with the
Community Ministry of North Augusta (C.M.O.N.A.), a benevolent ministry,
was established to minister to the physical/financial needs of individuals
within the church community.
purchases include refurbishing the pastor and secretary’s office
including the vestibule, and remodeling of the balcony area to establish
a dining area. Handicap ramp and front porch awing were installed, Sanctuary
lights installed, and a storage building added. The church has been
connected to city water and sewage systems; a second van was purchased
and paid for in one year. A computer, copy machine, a new fax machine,
a word processor, a riding lawnmower, security bars microwave oven,
VCR and monitor, a refrigerator, camcorder, drum set, synthesizer and
a new Hammond Organ were purchased and paid off in October 1996. The
church mortgage has been paid in full. A second computer and a third
van was purchased in 1999. A new state-of-the-art sound system was purchased
and installed in August 2006 costing over $11,000.00.
June 21, 1996,
the church purchased 22.6 acres of land for a new vision of Hammond
Grove Baptist Church.
March 8th and 9th
1995, Hammond Grove was vandalized. Racial slurs were written on walls,
pictures (of former pastors and Reverend Hankerson) were defaced with
Ku Klux Klan symbols. Items were destroyed and left in disarray in the
Sanctuary, foyer, and balconies. Damage exceeded $20,000. The church
family and well wishes entered into prayer and God’s awesome power
revealed the perpetrator one week later – two (2) white teenagers,
ages 14 and 15. After listening to a powerful sermon by our pastor the
teens came before the church with their fathers apologizing and asking
forgiveness. The church congregation expressed their acceptance and
forgiveness by standing. The healing process began with encouragement
through God’s word from our pastor.
With the assistance
of the local community, churches of all denomination and color, Christian
friends, Jewish communities, both locally and abroad, Hammond Grove
has refurbished the sanctuary. The sanctuary has been re-painted, new
carpet installed, floors refinished and new flooring installed, a new
stove and cabinets have been added upstairs, lighting added, and a security
system was installed.
Hammond Grove Baptist
Church is now a full-time church with office hours between 10:00 a.m.
and 5:00 p.m. daily.
The following were
licensed to the ministry: Fred Morton (1998), Echols L. Miller (October
17, 1999), Evangelist Delores B. Hankerson (December 11, 1999), Evangelist
Etta Eubanks (January 9, 2000), Minister Sheldon Cooper (September 29,
2002), Evangelist Ruby Simmons (September 29, 2002), Evangelist Aderina
Lee (January 22, 2006) and Minister Charles Jackson (August 19, 2007).
ordained the following ministers: Reverend Robert Pattern (May 31, 1998),
Reverend Echols Miller (January 30, 2000), and Evangelist Delores Hankerson
(January 20, 2002).
Under Pastor Hankerson’s
administration, two (2) appointed to the Trustee Ministry - Sheldon
Cooper and William H. Abraham; January 29, 1995, Ricky Adams and Joseph
Cook were ordained to the office of deacon. Lamar Williams was appointed
Chairman of the Finance Committee. Rosa Thomas (first female Trustee)
and Charles Jackson, Sr. appointed to the Trustee Ministry in 1996.
Two Deacons were ordained on September 12, 1999: Deacon Roman Bing and
Deacon Charles Jackson, Sr. Three additional Trustees were appointed:
Trustee Mildred Bussey, Trustee Lenor Dorsey and Trustee Rosa English
(appointed October 2001).
initiated a Prison Ministry at Augusta State Medical Prison in 1999.
The Lord is richly blessing this ministry by bring many souls into his
In May of 2000,
Hammond Grove Baptist Church entered an agreement with Walton Rehabilitation
Hospital giving and granting then the exclusive and irrevocable right,
privilege and option to purchase 9.67 acres of land on Five Notch Road
under the conditions to obtain a capital advance from the United State
Department of Housing and Urban Development to develop an approximately
40-unit housing complex. On June 8, 2006, the Hammond Grove Church Family
celebrated a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for the opening of Vincent Village
located at 224 West Five Notch Road at 11:30 AM. Vincent Village is
a new senior citizen housing complex named in honor of the late Reverend
A.W. Vincent. Reverend Vincent pastored Hammond Grove for 47 years,
1912-1956. In June of 2007 an additional 12 handicapped units, Walton
Crossing, were added.
The Hammond Grove
Baptist Church is beginning a ministry in Augusta, Georgia from the
receipt of property donated by Mrs. Alma Abraham-Thomas. The house was
dedicated on February 13, 2005 and named “The House of Abraham”.
Renovations have been done costing over $12,000. Church ministries and
individuals donated appliances. In March of 2005, a mini-bus was purchased
to provide transportation for the church. In 2005, we paid off the loan
for the 21.6 acres of land.
The church has been
served by the following secretaries: Benjamin Bohler, J. L. Blanton,
C. W. Simpkins, R. W. Greenwood, C. L. Nickerson, Jr., M. L. Spann,
S. H. Bohler, M. E. Reese, J. A. Nickerson, Jr., George W. Turner, Barbara
A. Allen, Patsy A. Jones. Walter Bullock, Financial Clerk, Marilyn C.
Abraham, Administrative Secretary and Wanda White, Secretary, Belinda
G. Rouse, Interim Clerk, Paula Holloway as Financial Secretary and Cynthia
Abraham, Administrative Secretary. Presently serving is Paula Holloway
(Financial Secretary) and Cynthia Abraham, Administrative Secretary.
Hankerson was appointed Assistant-to-Pastor on November 15, 2003.
On May 24, 2007, the Usher Ministry and Greeters Ministry merged to
form one ministry, the Greeters Ministry.
Our present officers
are: Reverend Bobby G. Hankerson (Pastor), Evangelist Delores Hankerson
(Assistant-to-Pastor) Deacons Dock Abraham (Chairman), Deacon Roman
A. Bing (1st Vice-Chairman, appointed November 19, 2005), Minister Charles
Jackson Sr. (2nd Vice-Chairman, appointed November 19, 2005), Willie
Abraham, and Samuel Cook.
The present Trustees
are: Rosa Thomas (Chairman), Lawrence Wigfall, Mildred Bussey, Lenor
Dorsey, and Rosa English and. Belinda Rouse (appointed December 2007)
2008 “First Stage of the Vision”
After much prayer and seeking the direction of our Lord and Savior,
Jesus Christ, the Hammond Grove Church Family began their quest to fulfill
the first stage of the “Seven Point Vision”…Build
a church on Five Notch Road. Members for the building committee, known
as the Building Vision Team, were established. Members were: Pastor
Bobby G. Hankerson (Chairperson), Evangelist Delores Hankerson, Minister
Sheldon Cooper, Minister Charles Jackson, Deacon Dock Abraham, Deacon
Roman Bing, Trustee Rosa Thomas, Trustee Mildred Bussey, Trustee Lawrence
Wigfall, Trustee Rosa English, Trustee Belinda Rouse, Cynthia Abraham
and Tonya Hankerson.
The Building Vision
Team worked diligently to select a team of contractors to bring the
vision to fruition. The following contractors were selected to made
the vision of a building on Five Notch Road a reality: General Contractor,
James Trowell (J. E. Trowell Builder); Site Work, Willie Wooten (Georgia
–Carolina Paving Company); Engineering, Birkie Ayer, P.E. (Ayercorp).
In addition to contractors, a support team was also selected to direct
and finance the endeavor. The team consisted of: Lending Agency, Todd
Stanford (Security Federal Bank); Legal Counsel, James M. Holly (Hull,
Towill, Norman, Barrett & Salley); Project Overseer, Deacon Henry
On July 30, 2007,
the church celebrated their Ground Breaking on Five Notch Road. The
Building Vision Team along with the contractors continued their work
to complete the project.
2008 - “Present”
On June 7, 2008, the Hammond Grove Family had a Consecration/Ribbon
Cutting Ceremony, invitations were extended to the public, various churches,
local dignitaries, clergy and friends were invited. North Augusta Mayor
The honorable Lark Jones presented a proclamation to Pastor Hankerson
declaring June 7, 2008 as Hammond Grove Day Baptist Church Day. Our
first day of worship at the new location was June 8, 2008. Pre-dedication
services were planned which included two nights of worship service and
a special musical service. Dr.Alex Pope was the first guest minister
to preach in the new pulpit on Tuesday Night, Reverend Elliott R. Bing
on Wednesday night. The month of June concluded with the official Dedication
Service on June 29, 2008.
Cooper was ordained on December 23, 2007; on November 29, 2009, Reverend
Charles Jackson Sr. was ordained. Tony Bradburn and Calvin Norris were
appointed to the Deacon Ministry on October 25, 2009.
Our current officers
are: Reverend Bobby G. Hankerson BA, TH.B, MPC (Pastor), Evangelist
Delores Hankerson (Assistant-to-Pastor), Deacon Dock Abraham (Chairman
Of Deacons), Deacon Roman A. Bing (1st Vice-Chairman), Minister Charles
Jackson Sr. (2nd Vice-Chairman), Deacon Willie Abraham, Deacon Samuel
Cook (Treasurer)., Deacon Tony Bradburn and Deacon Calvin Norris.
The present Trustees
are: Rosa Thomas (Chairwoman), Lawrence Wigfall, Mildred Bussey, Lenor
Dorsey, Rosa English, and Eddie Guyton; Junior Trustees – Christian
Abraham, Justin Abraham, Joshua Bing, Arthur Chapman, Raphael Norman,
Calvin Norris, and Travis Pickens.
more information, you may call us at: